Monday, March 17, 2008

First Day Back at the Gym

Today was interesting. I wasn't able to meet with my trainer so I just decided to do my own thing for the day. I haven't lifted in 2 1/2 weeks because of my surgery and doctors orders. Today is the day I've been planning on going to the gym. I couldn't wait to get at it again.

I got there and my trainer came over and wisely told me to take it easy. She's an RN and was concerned that I ease back into my regimen. Well if you know me you know I don't ease into anything. I hit it for 35 minutes doing every lower body exercise I could remember. I then did core exercises using the elevated bench and bouncing the medicine ball from side to side. Followed by the roman chair with leg lifts, and then the crunch machine. I then did a plank for as long as I could hold it. Man I felt great. I felt strong and light. I was loving it. Well now off to get a book and my ipod so that I can get in 40 minutes of cardio.....or NOT!

On the way to get my stuff I began to talk with a pastor friend of mine. As Pastor Norman Hunt was telling me about some things happening at his church I began to see stars. Within a few seconds the stars grew into big white clouds until all I could see was Norman's mouth. Well I knew something was wrong, but I thought I could fake it 'til I made it. Nothing doing. His voice grew too quite to where I couldn't even hear him. At this point I knew something wasn't right. See I have never passed out before, but that was just about what was going to happen. I said to Pastor Norman.."Man I need to sit down I think I'm about to pass out."

How embarrassing. I get seated he tells me to do the whole head between the legs thing. One trainer is putting a wet compress on my neck. My trainer has run over with juice and a banana. Within a few minutes I'm ok. Debbie the trainer is like "I told you to take it easy". Well I have learned my lesson. Sometimes in life there are things you need to ease into. One of those apparently is exercise after surgery, while still medicated. Go figure.

1 comment:

Karen said...

ROSS! You need to EASE into the workout thing man.. your post scared me.. I am glad you didn't pass out.. I am glad your ok!

GOOD job on the working out thing though... your looking great!