Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Successful Hunt

I had a great couple of days hunting deer on a 600 acre lease in Waynesboro. For some reason I had a bad case of the jitters the whole time and missed 3 out of four shots. I did bag a nice 2 1/2 year old mature doe that should put 35-40 pounds of meat in my freezer. I was hoping for two, but blew that.

I have never got a buck before. Two minutes after bleating and grunting on some calls in walks a four pointer and a really nice eight pointer. They couldn't have been 30 yards from me. So close I could have shot is with a bow. I got so jumpy, I couldn't settle...buck fever beat me and beat me good. I somehow shot right over it's back. The 30-30 I was shooting was hitting a target within an inch of the bulls eye at 100 yards and here I am missing a 30 yard shot. Jeff said "pastor, I know you can shoot and shoot great now we just got to teach you how to kill deer" It is a different ball game shooting on a range from hunting. Well I guess that's what keeps you coming back for more. That was the fifth doe I have harvested so far I am definitely getting the itch to take a buck. We'll see.

No comments: