Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Brother Crow...a new friend

A few weeks ago when we launched our Wild West Series we placed "www.jesusisyourhuckleberry.com" signs around the city. They have caused a bit of a stir and we have seen a dozen or so people come and one person come to Christ after coming because the sign peaked their interest.

I had one particularly challenging e-mail from an agnostic who was a pastor for 25 years.

He Writes: Jesus is your huckleberry? That is a new low! Taking "Tombstone" as your sermon idea generator? Embarrassing.

I am a local agnostic, and would love to debate your religion. Your website is flashy...but come on, is that the best you can do? Your pictures look like you are funny and fun people, but I am Crow and I see through that.

I have a high level of despite for exploitive faith communities like yours. I was a pastor once. Do you think your faith and religion can stand up to the blistering impact of a person like me? I challenge you to some debate. You up for it...huckleberry?



Now before you pick up your stone slow down and read on. Don't see this e-mail as a negative because frankly the man has become in one afternoon a person I will consider a friend for I believe long into the future. Upon reading his e-mail I didn't think this guy was really trying to bust my chops so much as he was seeing just trying to see where my heart lies.

I wrote him back and told him I would love to sit and have a cup of coffee with him. I wanted to hear the tale of a man who obviously has journeyed so far. No judgment just an exchange of life stories. Well yesterday I had that opportunity and experienced one of the most pleasant and interesting hours this month.

I was surprised to find out that we had similar backgrounds and experiences. We had a like mindedness regarding radical grace and the feeling that Christians after a season of "maturing" begin to miss the real meaning of Christianity. Where we differed and it breaks my heart (as my mother would say) is that I still believe in the Bible's claims of Christ even if at times I am disfranchised with the modern church. Brother Crowhas come to espouse that the Christ story is pure mythology even doubting the histrocity of Jesus.

What was so troubling was seeing a man who has become "de-converted" but is still moved by much of the story of Christ and the "proposed" Holy Spirit's interaction with man. He knows he senses something when faced with elements of the Christian faith, but has reconciled that "something" as anthropological reactions to stories of fancy and myth; much like a heart warms at the thought of Santa and his sleigh.

This is not the guy that claims atheism/agnosticism as an excuse to disengage spiritual dialog. This man has served as a pastor and at one time was second in command to one of the finest pastors and leaders in our nation. To maintain his anonymity I will say no more but was impressed by his past and present. I genuinely like this guy and hope to "convert him back from the darkside" If you're reading this BC I'm just playing with you.

That I am sure will not be the last cup of coffee shared with my new favorite agnostic.

No comments: