Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Ear Report

I went to have my left ear tested again today. They don't expect it to improve, but I know God is able. The doctor had me do testing with the audiologist. I found out today that they can do a type of hearing aid that will not make my left ear hear, but the sound going from my left will be transmitted to my right and some how the brain figures it all out. It means wearing hearing aids in both ears, but they said it will be a dramatic improvement in social environments. That's exciting! weird to be 34 and have hearing aids in both ears, but you know I'm a pastor and pastors aren't vain....so it's no big deal ha ha yeah right.

The cheaper CROS (Contralateral Rerouting of Offside Signal) unit had both aids going over the ear and then a wire that connects the two being my head. All I could think of when she said that was that one kid on Barney years ago. So quickly I asked is there is another option for the mildly vain. There is! An aid in each ear that sends the signal wirelessly. They cost a little more and you might pick up mexican radio stations but it's better than looking like you are wired for sound. So that's where I stand on the whole ear thing. Soon I'll be functioning normal again in groups until then don't sneak up to me from behind on my left side cause I might punch you in the throat...just kiddin'...no really.

No comments: