Monday, May 29, 2006

Tragic Day for my Friends

Many of you know I have been riding dirt bikes since I was a kid. Over the years I have crashed my brains out on numerous occasions and because of that I have a plate that keeps my humeral head attached to my arm and my knees feel like they belong to a 60 year old, but I just keep going back for more. Don't ask why? I don't know. All of the guys I have ridden with through the years have their "war" stories and usually mine tops them all. Dirt biking is definitely a risk reward activity, and injury is just a part of it. You heal up, shake it off, and on to the next riding adventure with your friends.

Well, Tonight I got the kind of call that you just don't ever want to receive (I'm not sure if I'll ever ride again). All my guys we're together back in Ohio at our friends "G's" (Gary Ferguson) house. Memorial day is always a great day to kick off the new season of riding and Gary's track is a great place to get the cob webs out. If I still lived in Ohio that's where i would have been, but I was here enjoying the North Georgia Mountains with my family when I got the call from Med-central Hospital in Mansfield, Ohio. One of our friends Gary Kula who has just started riding again after a long hiatus crashed on a double and was hurt bad.

My friends were calling for me to pray, and to break the news that he could be paralyzed. They sad that everyone was taking a break and getting some food when GK decided to go out and get a feel for the jumps on the track. He hit the double to fast then chopped his throttle and crashed hard. "G" said he started to turn blue in his helmet. They got it off and he was gone...they began cpr and they got him back praise the Lord! After arriving at the hospital in Mansfield they life flighted him to Columbus. Please be praying for Gary Kula and his wife Ruthann. This is a great couple who I had the priviledge of marrying a few years ago. They even were down for a visit when we were just a small group meeting at the coffee house and helped us financially to launch emc. Pray also for Gary & Amie Ferguson and all our friends and their children who were there when it happened.

No comments: