Saturday, September 08, 2007

My Boy's a Playa in the Beatiful Game

This is Grant's second season of soccer and today was his first game. The "Blue Rockers" a name the kids came up with came away with the win. Not that that's what it's all about, but like I've said before I'd rather win then lose any day. Grant was a force... at least in my eyes. I'm trying hard to not be an obnoxious soccer dad, but I loved how he went right at the ball no matter what. All he could think about was get the ball, shoot, score. We'll have to work on team play and sharing, but today was all about everybody going at it and my boy came away with a bunch of goals. When it was over I was so proud of him because he said he thought he had scored a goal or two (it was 3 times that) but all he could say was dad our team scored ten goals. It felt good that he knew he had done well, but that individual play was lost amongst the accomplishment of the whole team. OK Ross you're making a big deal out of a stupid game. No I'm making a big deal out of what the game can do in the attitude and growth of a boy. Odd's are Grant will never play pro soccer, but he'll carry excelling in your area of interest and being a team player all his life. It was neat to see in his head he's beginning to get that. Now I just got to get it out of his head and into his feet so he'll pass the stinkin' ball sometimes, but I guess that's just how they play at this age. Go Blue Rockers!..... and from a proud dad go Grant.

No comments: