Saturday, September 15, 2007

EMC's first person that has got a head start

Tonight I spent several hours at the hospital with a dear family as they said goodbye to their mother. Most of you do not know who Luella Harris was but she was the oldest person that considered herself to be and emc-er. We were her church and I was her pastor. I say that with a sense of pride and affection. Luella was 91 years old and although she made it to our first baptism (it was held at the home where her daughter Sharon lives) we never had the privilege of having her at the theater. She may not have been able to get to the theater, but in the early days before we launched we had a small group that met at Sharon's and there Luella sat as pretty as can be dressed to the nines and taking it all in. Being that we have a pretty young church I miss some of the old stuff I was raised with. So when I would visit with Grandma Harris she always let me get my fill of playing and singing some old gospel hymns and choruses.

To be honest it was a little selfish of me because she reminded me so much of my Grandma Bobbie. With her I always felt like I was at home on a Sunday afternoon smelling cornbread cooking and waiting to get into the soup beans. I guess I'm trying to say she always took me back. Well now she has jumped well ahead of us all and while we'll mourn our loss for some time to come we know she is at peace and waiting on us just as pretty as she can be.

Grandma Harris I'll forever be proud to say that you were the first person's home going that I'll get to be a part of here in Georgia. Don't worry a thing honey....we'll make you proud. Love ya.

No comments: