Friday, February 08, 2008

In the Trenches

This has been a week heavy with people needs. Every day this week we have been in the trenches. Often people don't realize the stuff others are going through. I love it that God is there for us at our worst moments. I also loved that as a pastor I get to be a part of people's victories and their struggles. At times life is a fight and we can't be afraid of getting in the trenches.

I heard something from someone that kind of troubled me. They said they loved their church because as soon as you walk in everyone is smiling and always happy. I guess that's great and all, but frankly how many times did you not feel so smiley and happy. Is being smiley and happy all the time the ultimate mark of a "successful" believer.

The folks I spent time with this week would probably not come to church this Sunday if they felt they had to put on a show. Frankly at times life is war and war is hell. I hope emc is always a friendly and joyful place, but on the other side when a person is feeling like crap, lost, bound, defeated, or etc... they will realize that they are not the only ones. There is hope for those who feel like they are going through the war. And there are people willing to be in the trenches with you.

This Sunday if you are facing a lot of stuff be at the Embassy. I can't wait to teach the final sermon in our Epic series.

No comments: