Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Time Flies

This week has reminded me how fast life really goes. Amie got her hair cut yesterday (Zoe you did great!)and as I saw her I did the typical husband stuff like..."you look great, wow, etc..."

It was the first time in probably six months. And so all the streaks and stuff (I'm not sure if that's what you call it) were cut out leaving Amie's naturally beautiful dark hair to be seen clearly. As I took her into my arms I got a close up look at her scalp and then I put my foot right in my mouth. I said "dang girl look at all those gray hairs" To which she pointed out the arrival of my first gray hair in my beard. I say all that to say time flies. I remember thinking how cute Amie was when she was ten...I was almost 13. I remember when she was 12 and the flirting began...OK I was flirting, she thought I was a dork, but a couple years later and the flirting became mutual. When she was 16 I took her into my arms for the first time and when she was 19 we gave our lives to each other until death we part. Now I find myself holding someone who I have admired for 22 years and to know that we will grow old together is very comforting. It's just strange how time flies, grey hairs come, and smile marks slowly begin to form into permanent lines (Amie quickly points out that I have more of those than she...can I help it if I smile alot?)

Another marker of time is the coming of a new school year. Yesterday we dropped Grant off at school for the first time. All our babies are in school now. That just feels weird. Grants in kindergarten, Aubrynn is in third grade, and Adalee is a fifth grader. Amie was taking it pretty hard so I took her to IHOP for breakfast before we started work. Looking across the table at her I realized how amazed I am that I have got to do life with this girl. She amazes me. Well anyways I wrote all this just to say embrace what you have every moment and live fully in each moment because time flies and you can never do yesterday again.

No comments: