Tuesday, March 14, 2006

what'll ya have!

That's the famous line you'll hear when you go to eat at the world's largest drive-in. The Varsity is in downtown Atlanta on more than two acres and can accommodate 600 cars and over 800 people inside. "On days when the Georgia Tech Yellowjackets are playing a home game, over 30,000 people visit The Varsity." www.thevarsity.com

Last night we took our team to the Varsity just to get out of the house. Every Monday night we have our team meeting and since we don't have offices yet there isn't much separation between work and family life. That's the same reason I'm at the Serene Bean this morning instead of locked in my office at the house. Well anyhoo, the Varsity is amazing and we had a great time. My favorite Varsity greasy fix starts with a small order of wings, a chili dog with mustard (don't say coney or they'll know you're a "d--n yankee") a coke to wash it down (don't say pop or they'll really know you're a "d--n yankee") and finally a frosted orange which is a chunk of heaven frozen with citrus and served with a straw. Oh how I love Atlanta. Let me count the ways.....1.the Varsity.....2.Chic-fil-A....3.Waffle House....mmmm good.

What can you learn by going to the Varsity. They do a few things well. There products are few, but their presentations vary enough to meet the needs of those who come through their doors (except maybe non-grease loving vegitarians). Because of that the Varsity has become the World's Largest drive-in.

Often churches try to do too much and because of it they fail to become the great movements that they could have become. I hope our team can continue to discern between what's good and what's best, and from what's just busy from what's beneficial. I'm not a big numbers guy and those of you who know me know that, but is it possible that someday 30,000 people could come through the many campuses of embassy metro church on a given Sunday? I don't know, but the future looks good! Oh, did I mention the Varisty has onion rings? This Sunday there will be onion rings instead of doughnuts in the cafe' at the embassy! See ya then. I keed.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Hey Ross...
I also discovered a scientific breakthrough that will set the conventional wisodom on its head...The Varsity now qualifies as "health food" and is perfectly acceptable, no, required for those who are tryig to lose weight and develop a healthy lifestyle.

See, Sunday afternoon, I heard that chili dawg calling my name and I couldn't resist the siren song! So I fell. Hard. Chili dawg, O-rings, AND an F.O.!

So I was dreading Monday when I stepped on the scales at the Y in Canton. Guess what? Even after a trip to the Greasy V, the scales are STILL going the right way...down!

So there you have it, folks...proof positive that The Varsity is part of a healthy lifestyle! :)

BTW, welcome to Cherokee County and Woodstock! Praying for y'all these days!

Later!