Monday, March 27, 2006

Trying Something New

A few weeks ago I blogged about Ed Young's new book on creative leadership. One thing that he pointed out is that he is a very visual person. Since he is visual, he uses a mind mapping process while preparing for his sermons. After a few revisions this becomes his final draft and the notes he uses to prepare for his delivery. This helps with memorization, flow, and continuity for the overall message.

I have known for a long time that I am a visual learner. I have also known for a long time that I hate the typical outline form of linear sermon preparation we all learned in college and have tried to forget in order to be more effective preachers. This week I jumped in and used a mind map to prepare for my sermon. The mind map I used I'm sure is nowhere as effective as the one's produced using mind map software, but hey it was free. I designed a template on power point and it seemed to work fine. If anyone would want this template just e-mail me and I'll send you the file.

Speaking of just sending a file free of charge; one of my all time favorite church planters is now allowing pastors to download everything he has fo free, that's right I said fo free! Craig Groeschel from Life Church in Oklahoma is freakin' awesome and now another reason to appreciate him. If you need some help jump starting your creativity you can't go wrong checking out Craig's stuff: www.lifechurch.tv

Anyhoo, I think I like the mind map thing and plan to continue using it. If anyone has any tips with mind maps let me know.

No comments: