Monday, March 13, 2006

I'm a rambler, I'm a gambler

O.K. so I'm not so much a rambler, nor am I a gambler, but over the past 6 months I have become quite the Dylan fan. It started with my rather ecletic taste for music. Last October I came across the audio book of Dylan's autobiography Chronicles: Volume 1. In this amazing set Bob Dylan shares his thoughts on hundreds of songs, artists, poets, and philosphers. To hear about the experiences, artists, and everyday joes that made Dylan who he is, was a great discovery.

Then my interest was peaked in December when I came across a podcast of the Martin Scorsese documentary of Dylan's early musical career. I must have listened to the whole thing five times. Dude this guy influenced everybody from the Beatles to CCR, to Johnny Cash. A couple of days ago I purchased the soundtrack to the documentary, "No Direction Home." Man I have loved every phrase that has been turned and every note that has been bent by his famous vocal style. Notes that slide around the melody over and under, but always into your heart. All I've got to say, if you are looking for a good 2 CD collection of Dylan's early never before released recordings then the answer my friend is blowing in the wind the answer is blowing in the wind. You can't go wrong with this set.

No comments: