Thursday, July 17, 2008

Still Learning

This past Sunday I frustrated myself. I hadn't preached at the embassy in 4 weeks so I wanted to bring it and bring it I did. I think I preached two of the finest sermons ever preached in the HISTORY OF MAN.

Ha! No really. Check out the podcast. There is a spot around 24 minutes where I should have said something like..."Next week we'll look at the Disciple Peter"...Let's pray, but Nooo! I rolled into another 23 minute sermon on Peter. Both great sermons but stuck together it lessened the impact of both sermons.

What lesson did I learn. I learned that you need to allow your content to shape the series, not the length of the series shape the content. I knew that I wanted to teach on Peter, Thomas, Judas Iscariot, and Andrew. This means a four week series. I really wanted it to be 4 weeks, but while preparing for last Sunday God really gave me some great stuff to teach on in the intro of the series. I should have preached the first half. Slowed down a little bit and enjoyed covering the material at a slower rate. Then next week cover Peter and what it looks like to embrace the call of a true disciple. Well I didn't want to make the series stretch five weeks so I pushed the intro and Peter together which left a 47 minute sermon that to me felt rushed. I guess I'm still learning :)

No comments: