Monday, November 27, 2006

Georgia Outdoors

Wednesday afternoon I got a call from Jeff Nobles. He and his wife Mary have been incredible additions to our worship band at the church and to the Embassy. I knew Jeff was a hunter and that his family has leased property in Waynesboro (Eastern Central Georgia). Well he asked if I wanted to go hunting for a couple of days at the 10 points hunting cabin. We had an incredible time. The property is 600 acres of pristine hunting grounds. The members have done a great job of managing the land to produce incredible environment for deer hunting.

I have always hunted with a shotgun or a compound bow, but for this hunt Jeff provided me with a rifle (30-30). In Ohio we can't hunt with rifles for what ever reason I'm not sure. I always thought it was because there is so much flat land in Ohio and a rifle round carries so much further than a deer slug out of a shotgun, but where we were hunting was as flat as Northwest Ohio. Also when hunting in Ohio I have mostly still hunted (walking on the ground) or hunted from small climbing stands (12-15 feet up). This hunt was amazing as we hunted from 20 foot high blinds that 3 people could fit in easily. We were meat hunting so we let all the bucks with antlers pass and we took 2 deer each the biggest being one of Jeff's does (130 lbs.)

My deer would have got me laughed at in Ohio where we grow monster deer, but they will be great eats and the lady at the butcher's acted like they were fine deer. I would say one was 80 lbs the other about 100lbs. So if you read this Eric, Mike, or George don't laugh at me for taking these little yearlings. I know we won't be laughing when we have a mean bowl of deer chili or fried tenderloins. BTW all my Ohio friends can you believe this one license and tag ($19) gets you two antlered deer and 10 antlerless) that's right 12 deer if you want em' If they did that in Ohio maybe we would have a lot less car-deer collisions.

We had a great time and now I am looking forward to Turkey season. Thanks Jeff & Alex for a great hunt.

No comments: