Tuesday, June 19, 2007

"The Embassy...a church for all people?"

I recently received this e-mail from someone who God loves deeply. How would you have replied? I have changed the name to give the writer anonymity. Following the e-mail is my reply.


E-mail:

Hello,

I recently heard good things about your church. We're currently attending __________ (the name of a church in Atlanta), and feel like we're being led to a church home that is a little closer to our home and somewhere that we can be more involved. However, there's a challange for us, most churches in the area are not welcoming, based on sexual orientation. My partner and I have been together for over seven years, we're laid back, comitted, professionals and most importantly Christians. Is your church a place that's welcoming and understanding?

I totally understand if you think your church might not be the best fit for us.

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you,

John Smith (Name changed)


My Reply:

John,

Great to hear from you and I am glad that the reputation of our church is getting out there. We are a group of people who love God and love people right where they are. I would say that we are accepting of all who come into the doors of the embassy. I like to tell my staff and church that we are to be a redeeming community. Christ shed blood for our lives puts value on us whether we have appropriated it by believing on Him or not. I am not saying that brings salvation to everyone, but that does bring value to everyone, and we endeavor to treat people according to the treasure they are in God's eyes.

I also encourage our staff and leadership that in addition to being a redeeming community we are also to be a sanctifying community. A community that seeks to lead people into a living life changing relationship with Christ that causes us to be more like Jesus and to live a life progressively more like what God's word prescribes for us. God loves us and wants the best for us and out of His desire to bless us He challenges us to lay down our desired will to take up His revealed will. This is difficult for all of us, but God is with us on the journey challenging and empowering us to rise up to His revealed will (The Scriptures). I would say that God's word would reveal to us many things that we are to allow Him to lead us into and other things that God would lead us out of further separating us to Himself for His best to be seen in our lives. Our sexual preferences and physical relationships apart from marriage, eating and drinking out of moderation, gossip and discord are all things that God desires to line up with His word. God loves us for just being and we love everyone coming into the embassy the same way....No hate.....No fear....no bigotry.....just love; but God also loves all of us too much to leave us where we are if where we are is not what He has revealed as what's best. Man, we all have our stuff that God is perfecting us in, but thank God He has our best interests at heart even if it goes against what I want, desire, and find satisfaction in. With that said... I would love to see you at the embassy, sit down with a cup of coffee, and begin a journey with you both, as we all as a body allow God to bring our lives into His best for each of us according to His word.

John, I Hope to meet you soon!


"with you on the journey"


ross wiseman
lead pastor
embassy metro church

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gutsy post, pastor. Good word. I love your site. Give me a call

James Satcher